Russia Travel Guide
Subdivisions of Russia
Trips Holidays and Vacations Travel
offers travel tips and information for top travel places and best destinations in Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe, Middle East and United States of America. We feature Europe links, Europe resources and large selection of Europe budget airlines, Europe chartered planes, Europe sea cruises, Europe ferries, Europe travel agencies, Europe land transports and Europe attractions including Europe beaches, Europe medical tourism, Europe retirement homes, Europe historical and Europe pilgrimage tours.
Map of the federal subjects of the Russian Federation
The Russian Federation comprises 83 federal subjects. These subjects have equal representation—two delegates each—in the Federation Council. However, they differ in the degree of autonomy they enjoy.
* 46 oblasts: most common type of federal subjects, with federally appointed governor and locally elected legislature.
* 21 republics: nominally autonomous; each has its own constitution, president, and parliament. Republics are allowed to establish their own official language alongside Russian but are represented by the federal government in international affairs. Republics are meant to be home to specific ethnic minorities.
* Nine territories: essentially the same as oblasts. The "territory" designation is historic, originally given to frontier regions and later also to administrative divisions that comprised autonomous okrugs or autonomous oblasts.
* Four autonomous districts: originally autonomous entities within oblasts and krais created for ethnic minorities, their status was elevated to that of federal subjects in the 1990s. With the exception of Chukotka Autonomous Okrug, all autonomous okrugs are still administratively subordinated to a krai or an oblast of which they are a part.
* One autonomous oblast: originally autonomous oblasts were administrative units subordinated to krais. In 1990, all of them except the Jewish AO were elevated in status to that of a republic.
* Two federal cities: major cities that function as separate regions.
Federal Districts and Economic Regions
Federal subjects are grouped into seven federal districts, each administered by an envoy appointed by the President of Russia. Unlike the federal subjects, the federal districts are not a subnational level of government, but are a level of administration of the federal government. Federal districts' envoys serve as liaisons between the federal subjects and the federal government and are primarily responsible for overseeing the compliance of the federal subjects with the federal laws.
Source : Wikipedia Encyclopedia
Hotels and Resorts in Russia, Europe